I like cornbread generally but their are varying degrees of cornbread awesomeness. Plain cornbread, its ok. I could eat some if I’m in the mood. Cornbread in a cast iron with crunchy edges…getting warmer. I might have a nibble or two. Now cornbread with jalapeños and blueberries? That baby is going down no matter what. I didn’t have a small-ish cast iron pan but if I did…oh boy.
Jalapeño and Blueberry Cornbread [Vegan]
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 1/2 cup soymilk or milk of choice
- 3 Tbsp. jalapeño, small dice
- 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk.
- In a separate bowl combine the soy milk, maple syrup and coconut oil. Whisk and set aside.*
- In a small bowl, take the blueberries and toss them with the flour. This will help prevent them from all sinking to the bottom.
- Combine the wet into the dry and mix well. Add in the jalapeños and blueberries. Mix.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake roughly 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Adjust the amount of jalapeño to your liking. 3 TBSP had a nice kick for me.