Everyone knows Jaffa Cakes – a fluffy biscuit, topped with refreshing orange jelly and covered in a delicious chocolate shell! This is not only a vegan version but also healthier one - no refined sugars/flours and no to little oil. The biscuit is not only extremely fluffy and light, but also completely oil-free! The secret ingredient is unsweetened apple sauce, which, no worries – you don’t taste at all.
Jaffa Cake [Vegan, Grain-Free, Oil-Free]
To Make the Biscuit:
- 1/2 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
To Make the Orange Jelly:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon agar agar
To Make the Coating:
- 7 ounces vegan, orange flavored chocolate
- Place the dry ingredients into a sieve that sits on top of a bowl and sieve until all the flour is inside the bowl. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, add all the remaining wet ingredients and mix together.
- Slowly add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix together until you have a smooth batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and slightly grease a muffin silicone tray.
- Add about a heaping tablespoon into each mould until all the batter is gone.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Once done, remove from the moulds and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the jelly. Add all ingredients to a saucepan and boil over medium heat. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Place a drop of jelly on a baking sheet or into the cleaned muffin tray and set to chill in the fridge.
- Once the jelly drops firmed up, place one drop on top of each biscuit.
- Melt your chocolate and pour over each cake. Set back into the fridge and enjoy!