Who would've thought that you could take a fruit and make it taste like bacon? Well, with jackfruit, it's possible! This tender, fleshy fruit soaks up flavors wonderfully, so when marinated in a smoky, pepper-maple mixture, it tastes just like the meaty favorite. Use this bacon on top of salads and baked potatoes or as a breakfast side dish.
Jackfruit Bacon [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Jackfruit Bacon [Vegan]
- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit, unsweetened
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
How to Prepare Jackfruit Bacon [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Open, drain, and rinse the jackfruit. Dry between 2 clean towels.
- Slice thin, as evenly as possible. The jackfruit may become stringy or break apart, but that is okay. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the marinade ingredients. whisk together until uniform, then toss in the jackfruit. Mix until all of the jackfruit is coated. Cover the bowl and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator, and evenly distribute on the baking sheets. You may only need 2 trays depending on the size of the jackfruit pieces. Save the remaining marinade for dressing or more bacon.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through. In the final half, check up on it from time to time as it may burn easily.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Use or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 111 | Carbs: 18 g | Fat: 5 g | Protein: 1 g | Sodium: 346 mg | Sugar: 7 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.