- Baked beans are total comfort food. They are filling, flavorful, and cozy! These homemade baked beans are nutritious, delicious, super easy, and inexpensive! The ingredient list may look long, but these beans come together quickly and have a deep, rich combination of spicy, tangy, sweet, and smoky flavors.While an instant pot makes this process faster, you can also use a slow cooker! Try makes these baked beans next time you want something cozy! You won't be disappointed.
Instant Pot Maple BBQ Baked Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 8 cups water for soaking
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 cup finely diced white or yellow onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Put dried beans, 8 cups water, and salt into a bowl and soak overnight (8 to 16 hours). Drain, rinse well with cold water, and set aside.
- With instant pot on sauté setting, add oil, onion and red pepper. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cumin and smoked paprika and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Turn pot off and add BBQ sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, tomato paste, molasses, liquid smoke, and red pepper flakes. Stir well to combine then stir in soaked beans and 1 cup of water or stock.
- Secure lid and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes followed by a natural pressure release. Once pressure has been released, carefully open the lid, stir, and season to taste.
Maple BBQ Baked Beans can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or frozen for up to 2 months.