Instant Pot lentil fricot. A traditional Acadian recipe with a vegetarian twist. This lentil Fricot is a comforting stew made with potatoes, carrots, onions, dumplings and in this case, lentils. This recipe can be made in the Instant Pot or in the slow cooker for an easy and delicious weeknight meal.
Instant Pot Lentil Fricot [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large (or 6 small) potatoes, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth, no salt added
- 1 1/2 teaspoons summer savory, dried (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup flour (I used all-purpose whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk of choice, plain and unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Set the Instant Pot on the "sauté" setting for 5 minutes. Melt the butter, then add the garlic and onion and sauté until the timer goes off. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the dumplings, to your Instant Pot. Stir together and cook on soup setting for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the dumpling ingredients.
- Once done cooking, release the steam. Spoon the dumpling dough on the soup, cover and cook for another 2 minutes using the soup setting.
- Release the steam once again. Ladle into bowls and serve with pepper to taste.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl of your slow cooker. Stir together and cover. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Once done cooking, prepare the dumplings by mixing the ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon the dumpling dough onto the soup, then cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining soup ingredients (not the dumplings) and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are cooked and tender. Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and herbs to taste.
- Meanwhile, mix the dumpling ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Once the soup is done, spoon the dumpling dough onto the soup, then cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked. Serve immediately or let cool slightly and store in the fridge or freezer.