This red lentil patty sandwich is a fusion recipe at its finest: easy, filling, and delicious. The cutlets are made from a blend of lentils and Indian spices that are shallow-fried until crispy. It’s great served on toasty bread with vegan cheese sauce, fresh vegetables, and chutney. Filling and flavorful, it’s a great option for a to-go lunch.
Indian-Spiced Red Lentil Patty Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Indian-Spiced Red Lentil Patty Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Patties:
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 onions
- 1/2-inch piece ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 green chilis
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- Salt, as needed
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon amchur (mango) powder
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander cumin powder
- Oil, for frying
- 1-2 tablespoons chickpea flour (optional)
For the Sandwich:
- 4 slices of bread
- Green chutney
- Lettuce leaves, as required
- A few slices of onion
- Vegan cheese sauce, as desired
How to Prepare Indian-Spiced Red Lentil Patty Sandwich [Vegan]
To Make the Patties
- Soak the lentils for two hours. Strain and grind it coarsely. In a mixing bowl, add onions and ginger, garlic, and green chili paste. Add the coarsely ground lentils. Mix it all together.
- Heat oil in a pan, and temper cumin seeds. Add the lentil mixture and fry it for 3-4 minutes. The mixture will dry up and leave the sides of the pan easily.
- Remove from heat and let it cool a bit. In another mixing bowl, add onions, spinach, cilantro, amchur powder, chili powder, coriander, cumin powder, and salt. Mix and add the cooled down lentil mixture to it. Give it a good mix. Shape them into patties and shallow-fry them. If the mixture is too dry, add some chickpea flour and a little water to bind them.
To Make the Sandwich:
- Toast the bread and add chutney, if desired. Place a patty over it and break it lightly. Spread it with your fingers to cover the bread. Place some onions over it. You can choose to add more vegetables here like cucumber, tomato, and bell peppers.
- Add vegan cheese sauce on top. Place a lettuce leaf on top and cover it with another bread. You can also grill the sandwich at this point if you want. For that, you need not toast the bread at first and you can use cheese slices instead.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.