Easy to make, filling, and full of flavor, this stir-fry is the perfect weeknight dinner or any day you're looking for something quick. Fluffy quinoa is cooked in a skillet with chickpeas, ginger, garlic, and Indian spices, along with the addition of peppers and savory tomatoes. This dish keeps well in the refrigerator, so it can be made in advance for easy lunches and dinners all week long.
Indian Quinoa and Chickpea Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or water as needed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 medium onion, any type, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 red or green chili, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dry)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 14-ounce cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 15-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if desired)
- Heat the olive oil on medium-low in a wok or large cooking pot. Add the spices and let them simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat down if they start to burn. Use this time to prep the onion, peppers, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the onion and raise the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and peppers and stir-fry for about a minute. Add the quinoa and stir fry for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Fold in the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add the salt and stir-fry for another minute.