These potato patties are a delicious snack or addition to the dinner table. They are soft and savory, with a slight kick from traditional Indian spices. Best part is that they're really easy to make.
Indian Potato Patties [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 green chili, long, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, died
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a pressure cooker or a saucepan, boil whole potatoes until they are soft and easily pierced with a fork. Remove the skin and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients except oil into the mashed potato. Measure approximately 1/4 cup of potato batter and form into round discs.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until it is hot. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of oil to coat. Add 4 potato patties into the skillet. Cook each side until it turns brown; approximately 5 minutes on each side. Reduce the heat if it is browning too quickly.
- Repeat the previous step until all potato batter has been used. Add extra oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Serve hot.
If you use food processor to blend the cooked potatoes, the batter will be very soft and sticky. You may need to use cookie dough scoop to scoop the batter and drop into the skillet, and then shape the patties with spatula.
- Potato Recipes