This smoked coconut gouda will satisfy your need for a nut-free vegan cheese that melts, stretches, slices, and grates. You can use it to top pizzas, eat it with crackers, or pair it with one of the sandwiches on this list for some extra-smoky goodness. This stuff might make you swoon over how satisfyingly melty it is.
Smoked Coconut Gouda [Vegan]
- 1 13.66-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons agar agar powder or 8 tablespoons agar agar flakes (the powder is much more concentrated)
- 2 tablespoons potato starch, cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon dry pectin
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- In a blender, combine coconut milk, water, agar agar powder, pectin, liquid smoke, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and nutritional yeast until fully combined.
- Heat this mixture in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it all comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium (still boiling) and continue to stir for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat. Have your tapioca starch, potato starch and xanthan gum mixed all together in a small container. This is your powder mixture.
- Quickly and carefully pour hot cheese mixture into your power blender or food processor.
- Add your powder mixture from above and promptly process until thick, scraping down sides if necessary.
- Immediately pour into a lightly oiled container and use a silicone (or other) spatula to scrape it out. A small round glass container or an 8 or 9-inch round pie or cake tin will work. Put the uncovered container in the refrigerator.
- Allow to set up for an hour or two. Turn out onto a plate and leave uncovered for an additional 5 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. The cheese gets firmer the longer it sets. Once firm, store the cheese in a covered container and use or freeze within the week.