Homemade oat milk is a lot simpler than it may sound. Oat milk is all the craze right now! You can find it in most coffee shops, grocery stores, and restaurants. Unfortunately, it can be expensive and many places charge extra for it. So why not make your own? This homemade oat milk is creamy, tasty, and cheap to make! Give it a try next time you run out!
Homemade Oat Milk [Vegan]
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, rice malt syrup or barley malt
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups filtered water + more for soaking
- Soak oats in filtered water overnight.
- Strain oats and rinse well.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high speed until pulverized and combined.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Keep refrigerated up to 4 days. Shake well before using.
To make this milk gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats and use maple syrup or rice malt syrup for the sweetener. This is my preferred water ratio. You may need to experiment - add more water for a less creamy milk or less water for a more creamy milk. You can start with 3 cups and add water to the milk after straining if you find it too creamy.