Next time you need sour cream, instead of buying one, try whipping up this Coconut Sour Cream. It's easy and delicious. Enjoy!
Homemade Coconut Sour Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can coconut milk, chilled
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (optional)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- ½ – 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk for at least one hour. If you are in a big rush, put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Open the can and transfer the thin liquid milk part into a bowl. You can keep this for smoothies or other uses. The cream that’s left is what you want. Transfer the thick coconut cream into a bowl. If you want to lessen the coconut flavor a bit, add ¼ cup of any non-dairy milk. I like cashew milk because it’s very creamy.
- Add the lemon juice and the vinegar, a little at a time. Mix it well and taste to see if there is enough acid for you. If not, add more little by little. Mix in the oil and add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Mix well and refrigerate for another 30 minutes until it sets. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.