Packed with protein, these red lentil patties are the perfect light lunch or dinner. Spiced with cumin, turmeric, and aromatics like onion and garlic, they are warm, flavorful, and herby. These patties are served with delicious tomato sauce, which is savory, slightly fruity, and spicy at the same time.
High-Protein Red Lentil Patties With Tomato Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- A splash of agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine
- Chili, dried herbs de Provence, and paprika powder to taste
For the Lentil Patties:
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable broth powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil, as needed
To Make the Tomato Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
To Make the Lentil Patties:
- Combine lentils, water, vegetable broth, and turmeric in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the lentils are softened and the water is absorbed (add more water if necessary). Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the onions in a skillet.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and grease with oil.
- In a bowl, combine lentils, onions, garlic, cumin, flax egg, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well and let cool slightly.
- Moisten hands with water, shape lentil patty, and place on baking paper. Brush with a little bit of oil.
- Bake the red lentil for about 20-25 minutes and serve with the tomato sauce.