The very first time I tried mushroom soup it came from a tin, and unsurprisingly, it was repulsive. I couldn't fathom why people would want to eat this stuff, but despite my unequivocal feelings on the matter, the tinned soup aisle was full of this stuff! Inconceivable. Fresh, homemade soup is always a winner, especially when it’s at a local pub. But you know what’s even better? If you throw some black beans in there for added protein and texture. Now this is the best damn soup you’ve ever had.
Black Bean Mushroom Soup [Vegan]
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock, preferably organic
- 1 can of black beans
- 10.5 ounce mixed white cap and chestnut mushrooms, also preferably organic
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 and 2/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, to serve
- Vegan butter, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry the garlic and onions until they have become translucent, for about five minutes on moderately high heat.
- Add the dried thyme and mushrooms. Sweat for another five minutes, until they are more or less evenly browned. Pour over the boiled water, drop in the stock cube and beans, and gently simmer for 20 minutes, until the mushrooms have gone soft.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables and liquid to a blender; pulse till liquid but still "grainy." You can also do this with a hand-held blender.
- Serve steaming hot with a couple of slices of freshly toasted sourdough bread and a generous slab of vegan butter.
- Beans - All
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 977 | Total Carbs: 84 g | Total Fat: 31 g | Total Protein: 35 g | Total Sodium: 2276 g | Total Sugar: 11 g Per Serving: Calories: 489 | Carbs: 42 g | Fat: 16 g | Protein: 18 g | Sodium: 1138 mg | Sugar: 6 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
This is very tasty! I added some coarse ground black pepper and some chopped fresh parsley. Went very well with the sour dough bread and lashings of Earth Balance spread!
Make this recipe healthier by sautéing the garlic and onion in vegetable broth and skip the vegan butter.