Colorful spiralized heirloom carrots create a veggie pasta that has more crunch than your standard zoodle — and the colors are so pretty! Topped with a sunflower seed cheese sauce, this unique pasta dish is ideal for those who crave a cheesy pasta dish with no gluten and no nuts!
Heirloom Carrot Pasta With a Sunflower Cheese Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sunflower Sauce:
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free white miso
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
For the Pasta:
- 4 heirloom carrots
- Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt in 1/2 cup of water. Add sunflower seeds, cover with a breathable material, and leave to soak overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- Saute 1 chopped yellow onion and 2 garlic cloves in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Rinse the sunflower seeds, and puree in a blender with the cooked garlic and onion, 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari), 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1 heaping teaspoon of white miso, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, and 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Peel and cut 4 large heirloom carrots into thin strips, using a julienne peeler or spiralizer will make your life a lot easier. The goal is to make pasta-like strips.
- Add a bit of water to a pot, bring to a boil. Place steamer basket in the pot, cover and steam the carrots for a minute.
- Divide carrot pasta in 2 bowls, pour sauce on top, and serve with some fresh alfalfa sprouts or with a handful of roasted pumpkin seeds.