In the thick of winter, we could all use a little cheerfulness to brighten our spirits. The apple pastry recipe I’m delighted to share with you today won’t take you long to make, and doesn’t require many ingredients, but it will turn your home into a delightful café for you and your loved ones. There is one more important ingredient not listed below, and that’s music! My recommendation is to turn on the French Café station on Pandora Radio while you’re baking and enjoying. Your ears and taste buds will be delighted.
Heartwarming Apple Pastries [Vegan]
- 2 sheets of vegan frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tsp. vegan butter substitute, melted
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced very thinly
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
You will also need:
- Heart shaped or round cookie cutter, approximately 2 ½ inches across
- Silicone baking mat or parchment paper for baking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl stir together sugar, apple pie spice and cinnamon, set aside.
- Unfold defrosted puff pastry sheets into 2 rectangles. Using a cookie cutter, cut each sheet into approximately 9 pastries each.
- Place pastries onto the baking sheet spaced apart, and brush with melted vegan butter substitute.
- For heart shaped pastries, place 4 thin apple slices on top, 2 per side of the heart.
- For round pastries, place three apples slices in a fan shape across the center.
- Sprinkle each pastry with ¼ - ½ tsp. spiced sugar mixture.
- Bake pastries until golden brown, approximately 12 – 15 minutes.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.