You’ve probably heard of making vegan crab cakes with hearts of palm, but what about a vegan lobster roll. It’s got a pretty similar flavor and texture, so why not. This vegan lobster roll recipe re-imagines the New England summertime favorite while maintaining traditional flavors and textures. It’s all about how you season it. Serve these at your next get together to prove once again to your family that vegan food isn’t just salads and smoothies or just make one for yourself. This vegan lobster roll recipe is perfect for any occasion!
Hearts of Palm Lobster Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm (not packed with sugar), rough chopped to consistency of crab meat
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 6-inch hoagie rolls
- Vegan butter
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hearts of palm and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Add the celery and peppers and mix well.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the onion mixture to the hearts of palm. Mix well. Add the Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, and mayo.
- Toast the hoagie rolls until gold brown, then butter the insides.
- Divide the hearts of palm mixture between both rolls. Serve warm with wedges of lemon.
- Hearts of Palm