All right, so before our family went vegan, we really REALLY loved cheese crackers. This is really more like a Cheez-It/Wheat Thins Hybrid if you make the healthy version, but the indulgent version is a little closer to the original, without being scarily florescent. We were actually more partial to Goldfish Crackers, but the Cheez-It shape is a little easier to mimic than the snack that smiles back.
Cheezy Crackers [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (for gluten-free, use an equal amount of gluten-free flour and 1 tablespoon ground flax)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter or 2 tablespoons cashew butter and 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil for a flakier cracker
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon sea salt (saltier is more realistic)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Smidge cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Non-dairy milk of choice, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a food processor or power blender, combine cashew butter, bell pepper, and all the seasonings until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined, you don't want to overwork the dough. The dough should be slightly wet and sticky. If it seems too dry, add non-dairy milk a teaspoon at a time until dough is moist. I didn't need to add any the first time I made these, but I needed a bit the second time.
- Roll dough out between 2 pieces of parchment paper (otherwise it'll stick to the rolling pin and you'll have to add more flour) or two silpat silicone baking liners.
- The crackers should be VERY thin. Thin enough to cover the whole full sized silpat and fit on a large baking sheet.
- Score the crackers into little squares with a pizza wheel, knife or a cute crinkle cutter like mine if you have one. Poke a little dent in the center of each cracker with a chopstick (this is just for decoration, do it however you like). Sprinkle the crackers with additional sea salt.
- Bake crackers for around 10 minutes, watch them closely, because the edge pieces can burn easily.
- Remove crackers from the oven and then remove them from your parchment paper or silpat and put the crackers back on the baking tray without the parchment paper to crisp them up a bit.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until crackers are golden and firm. Watch them carefully!
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch