It's the month of candy, and sadly Twix bars are not vegan! But this recipe completely satisfies your Twix-y cravings while upping the ante with peanut butter. These bars are surprisingly easy to make and also gluten-free! You'll find that the most difficult part is waiting for the chocolate to set.
Healthier Peanut Butter Twix [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cookie Layer:
- 1 cup gluten-free coconut flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Rest:
- 2 cups dates
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 7 ounces vegan dark chocolate
To Make the Cookie Layer:
- Combine all ingredients in food processor. Blend until mixture is combined.
- Press into a pan lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
To Make the Twix Bars:
- Place dates in food processor. Pulse a few times until they're chopped up. Slowly begin to add water. Start with 1/2 cup — how much water you use will depend on how gooey your dates are.
- Continually add water while blending until a smooth paste is formed. Add in peanut butter and blend until mixed.
- Pour mixture into 6x9-inch pan. Place in freezer and allow to set up for 8 hours or overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Remove bars from freezer and slice into long pieces, just like a candy bar.
- Melt 8 ounces of dark chocolate and dip bars into the chocolate; coating them completely.
- Place them on the baking sheet and into the refrigerator to set up. Serve.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to seven days or in the freezer for a few weeks.