You can get away with having doughnuts for breakfast. You heard it right. Whole food ingredients make these doughnuts healthy enough for any meal of the day. Make this recipe, you deserve that kind of love.
Healthier Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour or gluten-free oat flour
- 1 scoop vegan peanut butter flavored protein powder
- 2 tablespoons baking stevia or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Peanut Butter
- Jam or Jelly
For the Peanut Butter Glaze:
- 1/2-3/4 cup confectioner's sugar replacement
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare your standard donut mold with non-stick spray and be generous.
- Place your flax egg, baking stevia, applesauce, and almond milk into a mixer and beat until fluffy. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, protein, baking powder, and soda. Add your dry ingredients into the mixer and stir until combined.
- Fill 5 donut molds with half way with batter (this should use about 3/4 of the batter). Spoon a layer of jam and a layer of peanut butter into the center of the batter and cover with remaining batter. Bake doughnuts for 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and then let them cool completely.
To Make the Glaze:
- Whisk ingredients together until smooth or place into a blender on high until smooth. If glaze is too runny add another 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar.