There's nothing worse than seeing your hard earned produce go to waste but sometimes, there's nothing that can be done with the small scraps of veggies left from cooking a meal . . . or is there? Save your seemingly unusable vegetable scraps in the freezer until you have enough to make this healing vegetable broth. The vegetables you use will impart a mild flavor (fewer beets and nightshades, more onions, brassicas, celery, and carrots) to this nourishing broth. You can then use the finished broth in soups, stews, to cook your grains, or simply use it for sipping on its own. It is tasty – we promise.
Healing Mineral Broth [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8-10 cups assorted vegetable scraps
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 2-3 fresh sprigs
- A small handful of parsley stems
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- A couple pinches of kelp
- 10-12 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and bring it to a strong simmer.
- Turn down the heat, cover the pot, and simmer the broth for 2-4 hours, adding water if you need to.
- Remove it from the heat, allow it to cool slightly, and then strain off the vegetable scraps.
- Store any broth that won’t be used within a couple days in glass jars in the freezer.