Who needs regular meatloaf when this hazelnut and orange nut roast makes a unique, beautiful, and most importantly delicious centerpiece for any occasion. It is made with fluffy quinoa, hearty lentils, and a rich assortment of vegetables including leeks, mushrooms, onion, and celery. The citrusy notes from the orange and the fruity flavor from the cranberries are a wonderful contrast to the otherwise savory profile of this loaf.
Hazelnut and Orange Nut Roast With Cranberry Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Hazelnut and Orange Nut Roast With Cranberry Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Roast:
- 4.4 ounces leeks (white part only)
- 7 ounces Chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 flax eggs (1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 1/4 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup dry cranberries
- Juice from 2 oranges plus 1 zest
- 3 handfuls of bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Olive oil
For the Cranberry Sauce:
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- Zest from 1 1/2 oranges
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Hazelnut and Orange Nut Roast With Cranberry Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat some salted water in a saucepan. When boiling, add quinoa. Cook according to packet instructions until soft (it should still have a bite). Drain and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add finely chopped onion, 2 crushed garlic cloves, and finely chopped celery stalks. Fry gently until soft.
- Add very finely chopped leeks and finely chopped mushrooms.
- Add vegetable broth, tomato paste, and lentils.
- Cook under medium-high heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Make sure you stir often so the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add more stock if necessary.
- Preheat the oven 350°F. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add quinoa to the pan. Remove from heat.
- Add egg replacers, orange juice, orange zest, hazelnut, dry cranberry, 1 tablespoon chopped sage, 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg, and breadcrumbs. Mix well together. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs (you want a sticky mix).
- Pour mixture into loaf tin. Make the top even using a spatula.
- Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Check it at around 20 minutes and cover loosely with some foil if the top is too brown.
- In the meantime make the cranberry sauce.
- Put fresh cranberries in a saucepan with orange juice, orange zest, water, sugar, and dried sage. Cook under medium-high heat, stirring often. The cranberries will pop and the liquid will thicken.
- When done, add 2 tablespoons chopped sage and let it cool down. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg.
- Once cooked, leave the nut roast to cool in the tin for 15 minutes so that it is easier to cut.
- Turn nut roast upside down on a serving platter and decorate with some chopped hazelnut, sage, and cranberries, if desired.
- Serve warm with some roasted vegetables and cranberry sauce on the side.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.