Enjoy this creamy grilled zucchini tomato risotto for a light summer dinner! A perfect light meal for when you want something cooked on the table in less than 30 minutes. The tomato-based dish also contains grilled zucchini and peas, herbs, spices, and not much more, so it’s an easy one-pan meal for when you’re cooking for two, or even just for one.
Creamy Grilled Zucchini Tomato Risotto [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 handfuls of arborio rice
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 handful of peas, fresh or frozen
- Water, as needed (about 1 3/4 cups)
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- Oregano, thyme, and basil, as needed
- Olive oil, as needed
- Wash and dry zucchini, then cut into slices. Sprinkle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Peel and dice onion and garlic cloves.
- Heat a pan on medium. When sizzling hot, add zucchini slices (do not overcrowd), fry until golden, turn zucchini slices, and fry on the other side as well. When the zucchini are done, remove from pan and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain. Repeat until you've used up all the zucchini slices.
- Remove pan from heat and clean with a dry paper towel. Return pan to the stove and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When hot, add diced onions and stir-fry until translucent. Then, add garlic slices and rice. Stir well and gently fry until the rice soaks up the fat and juice. Add tomato sauce, stir, and let it cook until the tomato sauce is reduced. Add water and stir in well. Season with salt, pepper, and spices such as oregano, thyme, and basil. Let the risotto cook on low for about 15 minutes or until al dente, stirring regularly and adding more water if needed.
- When the risotto is almost done, stir in a handful of peas and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in also some of the grilled zucchini slices but save some for topping.
- When done, remove from heat and, with a lid on, let the risotto sit for a minute or two. If your risotto thickens too much, stir in a splash of water before serving.
- Serve hot, topped with the grilled zucchini slices and fresh herbs.