Unfussy meals with friends is what summer is all about. This grilled tofu and mushroom dish is the perfect thing to serve to a small, hungry crowd. Firm tofu and Baby Bella Mushrooms are marinated in a balsamic tamari sauce and then grilled until crispy. The salad dressing is very similar to the marinade, which helps to bring the entire meal together.
Grilled Balsamic Tamari Glazed Tofu and Mushrooms [Vegan]
For the Glazed Tofu and Mushrooms:
- 1 7-ounce block sprouted firm tofu (or tempeh)
- 12 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms
For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
For the Dressing:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white or yellow miso paste
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad:
- 3 cups fresh salad greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa or grains of choice
- 1/4 cup toasted seeds
- A handful fresh dill, finely chopped
To Prep the Tofu and Mushrooms:
- Using your hands (over the sink), squeeze as much water out of the tofu as possible. Slice tofu into desired shape and size, triangles or smaller cubes will do. Larger triangles will work better on the grill, but smaller cubes will work great on a grill pan or roasted in the oven. Once sliced, place tofu on a cutting board lined with kitchen towel. Cover with a top layer of kitchen towel and use something heavy to weigh the whole thing down. Press the tofu for at least 10 minutes. If possible, let it sit for 30 minutes. The longer you press the tofu, the better the texture.
To Make the Marinade:
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, arrowroot, and olive oil in a large bowl. Clean and halve the mushrooms (if needed) and place in a large, shallow dish.
- Add pressed tofu to the dish and pour over the marinade. Toss gently with your fingertips to make sure everything gets covered. Let rest for 10-15 minutes, or cover and rest all day in the refrigerator. The tofu and mushrooms can be prepared in the morning too, or when you get home from work.
To Make the Dish:
- When you’re ready to grill, preheat your barbecue to medium-high heat. Gather up some tongs or a spatula, a brush for the marinade, and some skewers for the mushrooms. Pierce the center of the mushrooms with the skewer and slide down towards the bottom, you can fit about 6 mushrooms halves per skewer. Leave a little bit of room in between each mushroom for optimal grilling.
- Place mushrooms and tofu on hot grill and brush with leftover marinade, then close the lid. Let cook for 5-6 minutes before flipping, and the brush with remaining marinade. Cook for another 5 minutes or until brown and crispy around the edges.
To Make the Salad and Dressing:
- Place all dressing ingredients except the olive oil into a blender. Begin blending and start pouring in olive oil. Blend until well combined. (this helps keep the dressing from separating).
- Place all salad ingredients into a large bowl, add a few spoonfuls of dressing and gently mix with your fingertips to combine. Serve with hot tofu and mushrooms and extra dressing on the side.