This vegan version of eggs benedict is everything that you would expect from this classic brunch dish and more. The smokey tofu and grilled asparagus provide a perfect foundation upon which a luxurious, creamy, dairy-free hollandaise sauce is poured over.
Grilled Asparagus and Smoked Tofu Benedict [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grilled Asparagus and Smoked Tofu Benedict [Vegan]
For the Hollandaise:
- 1 cup raw macadamias, soaked 4-6 hours
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours
- 1 cup almond milk or water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- A few grinds of pepper
- 1 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
For the Rest:
- 4 thick slices of crusty bread or English muffins
- 1 12-ounce block of smoked tofu
- 10.5 ounces asparagus (about 2 bunches), woody ends cut off
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
How to Prepare Grilled Asparagus and Smoked Tofu Benedict [Vegan]
To Make the Hollandaise:
- Drain the soaked nuts and add them to a blender with all of the other hollandaise ingredients except the chives.
- Blend this on high speed until the sauce is completely smooth and all the ingredients have emulsified. It should not be grainy at all, if it is, just keep blending.
- Add a few more tablespoons of almond milk or water if you need to thin it out a little.
- Once smooth, pour it into a little saucepan ready to heat up. Stir in the chopped chives and check the seasoning.
To Make the Rest:
- Get your grill nice and hot.
- While you're waiting for it to heat up, drizzle the sliced bread with some olive oil and cut your tofu block into eight thin slices. Make sure all of your benedict ingredients are prepared and ready to go.
- Start to heat your hollandaise, keep an eye on it and make sure to only just warm it. Once warmed through, remove it from the heat and cover it with a lid until you're ready to use it.
- Once the grill is heated to a high heat, throw in your bread and allow it to cook until it's golden brown and crunchy on each side. Remove it to a plate, rub it with the cut end of the garlic clove, and sprinkle it with a little sea salt.
- Place your tofu on the grill, drizzle it with some olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Cook it until browned it's all over, about 2 minutes each side. Remove this to the plate with the bread.
- Now toss your asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and place on the grill.
- Cook them until tender (but still a little crunchy) and charred in places, turning them with tongs as the spears cook. Remove them to the plate with the bread and tofu.
- Put your garlic rubbed bread on a plate, top it with the tofu, grilled asparagus spears, and a big drizzle of the warm hollandaise sauce. Pour any leftover warmed hollandaise into a jug and keep it on the table for people to add more to their benedict if they'd like. Serve this straight away.
If you don't have a grill you can use a pan and your stove.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 648 | Carbs: 59 g | Fat: 52 g | Protein: 19 g | Sodium: 777 mg | Sugar: 5 g Calculation not including salt or olive oil used for asparagus.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.