I’m not really sure why it took me this long to try my hand at a vegan creme brûlée., but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, without the traditional egg and cream base. Even though I’m a through and through pudding hater, something about the warm, crunchy sugary top and the cold, vanilla filling of a creme brûlée just speaks to me.
Grapefruit Creme Brûlée [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grapefruit Creme Brûlée [Vegan]
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained
- 2 ounces firm tofu
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch or cornstarch
- 3/4 cup grapefruit juice (Juice from 1/2 of a large grapefruit)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, for topping/caramelizing
How to Prepare Grapefruit Creme Brûlée [Vegan]
- Grease four ramekins or small bowls and set aside.
- In a blender of bowl of a food processor, combine the cashews, tofu. milk, sugar, cornstarch, grapefruit juice, maple syrup, and salt. Blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute, or until mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a saucepan oven medium heat and whisk continuously until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Make sure to whisk continuously, or the bottom of the mixture will burn! Pour the mixture evenly into the ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until filling is set.
- To caramelize the tops: After the creme brûlée has chilled, top each with 1-2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and broil on high for 2-3 minutes, watching closely until the tops are a deep golden brown. Alternatively, you can use a kitchen torch to get the same effect. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.