I’m not really sure why it took me this long to try my hand at a vegan creme brûlée., but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, without the traditional egg and cream base. Even though I’m a through and through pudding hater, something about the warm, crunchy sugary top and the cold, vanilla filling of a creme brûlée just speaks to me.
Grapefruit Creme Brûlée [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grapefruit Creme Brûlée [Vegan]
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained
- 2 ounces firm tofu
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch or cornstarch
- 3/4 cup grapefruit juice (Juice from 1/2 of a large grapefruit)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, for topping/caramelizing
How to Prepare Grapefruit Creme Brûlée [Vegan]
- Grease four ramekins or small bowls and set aside.
- In a blender of bowl of a food processor, combine the cashews, tofu. milk, sugar, cornstarch, grapefruit juice, maple syrup, and salt. Blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute, or until mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a saucepan oven medium heat and whisk continuously until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Make sure to whisk continuously, or the bottom of the mixture will burn! Pour the mixture evenly into the ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until filling is set.
- To caramelize the tops: After the creme brûlée has chilled, top each with 1-2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and broil on high for 2-3 minutes, watching closely until the tops are a deep golden brown. Alternatively, you can use a kitchen torch to get the same effect. Serve.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.