Okonomiyaki is a traditional preparation of flour, egg and veggies, grilled together. I added a little almond flour and flax meal to replace the eggs and a touch of balsamic vinegar in place of honey to reduce the sugar. I also added turmeric (for its anti-inflammatory goodness, and also for color). This adaptation is veggie-packed! Nutritious pancakes for the win.
Grain-Free Japanese Pancakes With Sticky Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Okonomiyaki:
- 1 medium sweet potato, grated
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts or cabbage, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch bok choy, large stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (ground or freshly grated)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 9 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 cup almond flour
For the Mushrooms:
- 1 cup Oyster or Shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Put the kettle on to boil. Combine 3 tbsp of flax meal with 9 tbsp of hot water, then let them sit to gel up.
- While they gel, collect your prepared veggies in a big bowl with your sea salt and turmeric. Mix well.
- At this point, preheat your oven to 350F and prep a baking tray with a piece of foil or parchment. Set aside.
- Add your flax mixture and almond meal to the bowl of veggies and stir.
- Heat a pan over medium heat with some coconut oil. Use 1/3 of a cup of batter and press into pancakes a little thinner than 1/2" thick. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until browned, then transfer to baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you repeat this same process with remaining batter.
- While your pancakes cook up, start on the mushrooms. Bring water and balsamic to a boil in a small pan, then add tamari and mushrooms, coating evenly. Allow these to cook for about a minute, then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Once your pancakes have all had a minute to set in the oven and crisp up a little bit, remove from the oven and divide onto plates.
- Top with sticky mushrooms and sesame seeds. Serve!