So you think you can just order a pizza minus the cheese, right? Wrong! Ask specifically what ingredients are in the sauce and the pizza dough and you might be unpleasantly surprised. Many places put cheese in the sauce, yes, even in the marinara sauce and some places even put cheese and honey in the dough. As if finding vegan pizza weren’t hard enough, imagine trying to find gluten-free vegan pizza. Gluten-free pizza is becoming more and more available but not in vegan form. And what’s with all the spelt pizza? Spelt has gluten! So as always, the answer comes down to making my own pizza.
Gluten-free Pizza Base [Vegan]
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbs. agave nectar
- ½ cup amaranth flour
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 Tbs. ground flax seed
- 2 Tbs. cornmeal
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ Tb. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees and place the oven rack on the bottom.
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water and add the agave nectar. It should turn white and creamy-looking. In a large bowl, combine the flours, starches, flax, cornmeal, xanthan gum and spices. Make a well and add the yeast, oil and vinegar to the well. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until it is all combined and you have a dough. You don’t have to work the dough very much at all since there is no gluten to develop.
- Cover with a dish towel and set aside about 20 minutes. When the time has passed, roll the dough out into your desired shape. Place the dough on an oiled baking sheet and work the dough so it fills the pan. This recipe fits a 10’ x 15’ rectangular baking pan. Brush the dough with some oil and poke a few holes in the dough with a fork.
- Bake the pizza dough for about 5 minutes until it just starts to turn brown and gets a little crisp. This will help it hold up to the toppings. Take the pizza out of the oven, add your favorite toppings. Return to the oven to cook an additional 10 minutes or until the pizza is done to your desired crispiness. Enjoy!
- Grain-Free Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 972 | Total Carbs: 170 g | Total Fat: 29 g | Total Protein: 16 g | Total Sodium: 18 mg | Total Sugar: 2 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Can this pizza dough be put in the freezer?