I tweaked it a bit to my liking, so here is a cupcake that is safe to eat (moderation of course) that is loaded with healthy oils, alternative sugars (that are healthy), and some hidden healthy foods that you would never have thought to put into a recipe like this.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup homemade almond milk (you can also use full fat coconut milk)
- ¼ cup tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder (non-aluminum)
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 TB. psyllium seed husks or flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 TB. vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder (that’s what I used)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin organic coconut oil, liquefied
Chocolate “Buttercream” Frosting
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TB. sweet potato purée
- 3 TB coconut sugar
- 15-25 drops plain or vanilla stevia liquid, to your taste
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw cacao or carob powder
- 2.5 ounces GOOD quality dark unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup smooth organic sesame tahini (for nut-free)
- 2 TB. organic extra virgin coconut oil, melted
How to Prepare Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Combine the apple cider vinegar with the almond milk (or coconut milk) in a large bowl. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to create a “buttermilk”.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the starch (tapioca or arrowroot flour), sorghum flour, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium seed husks or flax seed meal, sea salt, and cacao powder.
- Add vanilla, coconut sugar and coconut oil to your “buttermilk” mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until tops bounce back.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool for fifteen minutes in pan. Remove from pan after that time and transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Frost with Chocolate “Butterceam” Frosting (recipe below)
For the Chocolate "Buttercream" Icing
- Place sweet potato, coconut sugar, stevia, vanilla and salt in food processor and process to blend. Add the raw cacao powder or carob powder and process until combined. Set aside.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed pot, place the chocolate, tahini and coconut oil over low heat. Stir constantly until chocolate melts; remove from heat. Turn the mixture into the food processor and blend everything until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as necessary.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.