The Gluten-Free Cashew Tempeh Pasta recipe makes a hearty sized serving. The flavorful, creamy, nutty Asian inspired cashew sauce with the stir-fried tempeh, peppers, and onions, along with the chewy pasta and fresh pop of peas is such a culinary treat. This recipe is a great change up from the traditional weeknight pasta recipes.
Gluten-Free Cashew Tempeh Pasta [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 1 cup cashews, toasted divided into 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- 5 cloves garlic, minced and divided in half
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tabasco sauce or hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 package (8oz/227g) gluten-free tempeh, diced small
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 package (approximately 12oz/340g) gluten free pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- To toast raw cashews preheat oven to 350°F. Spread cashews out evenly on a baking sheet. Bake cashews for 8 minutes or until they become golden brown.
- To a high powered blender add 3/4 cup of toasted cashews, reserving the other 1/4 cup of toasted cashews for a garnish. Add half of the minced garlic, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, tabasco sauce, brown sugar, and toasted sesame oil. Blend on high for 1 minute or until cashews are completely blended up and smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Start to bring a large pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add diced tempeh, onions and peppers, and cook for 8 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. When finished cooking remove from heat and set aside until pasta is ready.
- Boil gluten-free pasta according to package instructions. When there is 5 minutes of cook time remaining add frozen peas to the boiling pasta water. When the pasta has finished cooking and is al dente, drain.
- In the large pasta pot add the cashew sauce, pasta and peas, along with the stir-fried tempeh, peppers and onions. Stir to evenly coat all ingredients in sauce. Heat until warmed through. Garnish with cilantro, and remaining ¼ cup toasted cashews broken into small pieces. Serve immediately.