These cookies will have your entire kitchen smelling like cinnamon while they bake. Without the glaze, they're crunchy, and with the glaze, they're delightfully chewy. Either way, they're delicious!
Glazed Cinnamon Bun Cookies [Vegan]
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup vegan organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla-infused bourbon
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 1/4 cup organic flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, aluminum-free
For the Filling:
- 5 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons vegan organic non-hydrogenated shortening or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla-infused bourbon
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- A splash of water
To Make the Filling:
- In a small bowl, combine the filling's seven ingredients and cream them together.
To Make the Cookies:
- In a small cup, combine the flax and water. Stir and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes, until thickened.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, vanilla, and sugar. Add in the flax mixture. Be sure to scrape the sides as needed.
- Slowly add in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Make sure everything is incorporated. If your dough is not coming together, add a tablespoon of water as needed.
- Between two pieces of floured parchment paper, roll out the cookie dough. It should be about a 1/4-inch in thickness and the shape of a rectangle.
- Using an angled spatula, spread your cinnamon filling, without getting too close to the sides of the dough.
- As you tightly and slowly roll up the cinnamon log, use the parchment paper as leverage and use it to shape your roll. Once it is tightly wound up, place it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. Give it time to bond and rest.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Have two cookie sheets ready to go. Use each of the pieces of parchment (that you used for rolling out) as your liners for your cookie sheets.
- Once the log is chilled, slice and bake. Cut the log into about 1/2-inch slices. Gently lay them down face first on the lined cookie sheet; again, gently press your fingers down to flatten them, just a little. These cookies will spread a little, so arrange them accordingly.
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Allow them to cool on the tray for 5-10 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack. If you have cookies that are waiting for the oven, store the cookie tray in the refrigerator.
To Make the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, gradually add water to the powdered sugar, while mixing with a fork, until you reach a glue-like consistency.