Putting fruit in guacamole gives it a special twist!
Fruit Guacamole [Vegan]
- 3 Haas Avocados, very ripe (an even dark-green color and gives just slightly to pressure)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 mango, 1/2" diced
- 1 cup green Granny smith apple, 1/4" diced (no peeling necessary)
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- Slice avocados in half lengthwise around pit. Twist apart and remove pit - I personally dislike the "hack the pit with a knife and twist it out" method, because of several close calls with the blade. A teaspoon or pushing it out from the back works too.
- Halve the Mango by cutting each long, flat, side clean off the pit, which is usually about 3/4" wide at the center. Using a paring knife, cut the peel off the remaining 3/4" and cut the flesh off from the pit. For the halves, score them like a checker board just to the skin. Flip the half inside-out, into a "porcupine" of mango spikes, and remove pieces with a spoon or pairing knife.
- For the apple, cut two large halves off the core - again about 1/2"-3/4" wide. Cut off the short sides. Lay skin-side up, and cut each into thin long slices, and then across to create a quick pile of diced apple.
- Slice the jalapeño in half lengthwise. Removing the seeds is a good idea for a party with various spice-tolerances. Rinsing the halves under cold water helps too. Cut into strips and then across to dice.
- Rinse cilantro very very well, as it can be sandy. Roughly chop stem and leaves together.
- Fresh lime juice is best. Roll the limes on a hard surface with pressure from your hand, to get the juices loose. You can squeeze directly into the guac to taste, or into a bowl to be more precise. Twisting the half around a fork helps get the juice out.
- Put it together: Spoon out the flesh of the avocado and mash it with a fork. Better yet: a potato masher. When smooth, add the remaining ingredients, stir and serve. Cover with plastic wrap if made ahead, with wrap touching the surface of the dip so there is no air.