If you love comfort foods, you have to make this fried okra. Crispy, crunchy bites of goodness that are perfect for dipping into a creamy, slightly spicy, tangy sauce. This is perfect for parties, barbecues, and just anytime in general.
Fried Okra With Remoulade [Vegan]
For the Fried Okra:
- Canola oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound okra
For the Remoulade:
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- A pinch of cayenne
- A pinch of garlic powder
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Fried Okra:
- Fill up a small pot with canola oil, until there are about 1 1/2 inches in depth. Heat it over medium heat.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes. It will turn into buttermilk.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Spread half of the cornmeal/flour mixture onto a plate.
- Dip okra in buttermilk, then roll in flour/cornmeal, add the second half of flour/cornmeal to the plate, dip in buttermilk again and roll for a second time in the remaining flour/cornmeal mixture. Make sure the okra is completely covered and to press the cornmeal/flour mixture around the okra.
- Once you are happy with the temperature of the oil (it should be 350°F), cook the okra in batches. Each batch should take 3-4 minutes. If you don't have a thermometer for the oil, using a slotted metal spoon, place one okra into the oil. It should bubble rapidly and get golden brown in about 3 minutes. If it burns, turn the temperature down a bit, and if it is still blonde, turn it up (you don't want the okra cooking much longer than 4 minutes or it gets mushy).
- Drain the okra on some paper towel to remove excess oil.
To Make the Remoulade:
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Taste and adjust spice level, lemon, and salt.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile