Fried green tomatoes are a southern classic! They’re a combination of crispy cornmeal coating and piping hot, tart, and tender cooked green tomatoes, made all the more delicious accompanied by a cool, creamy dip. In this particular recipe, the tomatoes are "fried" in the oven and are served with a dairy-free cashew cream. These are a healthier, but just as delicious, version of the original!
‘Fried’ Green Tomatoes With Cashew Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fried Tomatoes:
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons chickpea flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- A few pinches each of salt and pepper
For the Herbed Cashew Cream:
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked for a couple of hours, preferably
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- A dash of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs: basil, cilantro, or parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare one or two baking pans by lining with very lightly oiled parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients, this will be the dry coating. In a separate container, whisk together the remaining ingredients, this will be the “wash.” Gently pat the tomato slices with a tea towel or paper towels; this is optional but will help the wash and coating stick.
- One at a time, dredge the tomato slices through the wash then immediately coat them with the dry crumb mixture and set them on the pan leaving a little room between them.
- Bake for 10 minutes, carefully flip, then bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- To make the cashew cream, simply blend all ingredients except the herbs in a high-speed blender. Taste and adjust lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Stir in the herbs and place in the refrigerator for an hour or so; it will get thicker and the flavors more pronounced as it chills.
- Serve the fried tomatoes hot with the cashew cream.