Fluffy, potato-filled fried bakes on the go! Potatoes are curried into a savory filling for this classic Jamaican treat. Perfect for a spicy snack on the run.
Fried Bakes: Curry Potato-Stuffed Bread [Vegan]
To Make the Dough:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of water
For the Curried Potatoes:
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons water for the curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean green seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- In a standing mixer with the dough attachment, add all the ingredients for the dough besides the water. Add in the water slowly, while mixing on the number 2 speed.
- Mix the dough until it pulls away from the bowl. Rub the dough with a teaspoon of oil and cover with a dish towel and leave to rise for an hour in a warm place.
- While the dough is rising cook the potato.
- Place a heavy pan on the stove on medium heat. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic, and pepper. Sauté until the onion is just softened.
- Add in the curry powder, the green seasoning, and the three tablespoons of water, mix.
- Let the curry fry for a minute. Add in the chopped potatoes, salt, and black pepper. Fry for about 2-3 minutes. The curry would be sticking to the potatoes. Add in the vegetable stock and turn to stove to low.
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender and the stock has cooked off. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- While the potatoes are cooling. Roll out the dough. Pinch off little golf ball-sized pieces, roll it out into little disc and fill with some of the potato filling. Roll back into a ball making sure the seams are sealed.
- Once all the dough has been filled and rolled, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil on the stove to 350 degrees. Once the oil is hot add the filled dough to fry 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your pot.
- Fry until golden brown and the dough is cooked through, should take about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve wrapped in paper towels and don’t eat it too fast as it will be super hot inside.