What's the key ingredient to making your plant-based Caribbean dishes taste authentic? Green seasoning paste! While you can find jarred green seasoning in stores, it's easy to make at home — and it tastes fresher, too! All it is really is scallions, peppers, cilantro, ginger, garlic, thyme, onions, and fresh lime juice to keep the color a vibrant green. Throw it all in a food processor or blender and you have fresh green seasoning. Use it in rice dishes or with plant-based proteins like tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
A Caribbean Essential: Green Seasoning Paste [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 12 stalks of scallions/green onions
- 1 large whole white onion, peeled and chopped into 4 chunks
- 2 habanero (depending on your preferred heat level)
- 10 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro, tightly packed
- 1 cup of chopped culantro (found in Caribbean or Asian groceries)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Add all the ingredients above to a food processor and pulse into a smooth paste. You will have to use a spoon to push down the big chunks a few times.
- Place into a clean, tightly sealed jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- This can be used in any plant-based meat or bean dishes. It will keep up to three weeks in the refrigerator.