This recipe is a vegan take on the classic French twist sandwich. Inside this flavorful wrap is swiss chard, mushrooms, scallions, and tomatoes. The sauce is an easy Dijon mustard-maple sauce. If you like, you can add a few tablespoons of mayo to make it creamy. For added enjoyment, make this French-inspired cheese dipping sauce to go alongside the wrap.
French Twist Wrap With Dijon-Maple Sauce and Cheese Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the French-Style Cheese Sauce:
- 1 5.3-ounce container non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 1 teaspoon dry vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Mustard Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
For Vegetables and Assembly:
- 2 leaves Swiss chard, shredded
- 1/2 pound Shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 4 6-inch gluten-free tortillas, warmed
To Make the French-Style Cheese Sauce:
- Combine the yogurt, starch, yeast, salt, miso, vermouth, and vinegar in a small blender. Blend until very smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and cook until thickened over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
To Make the Mustard Sauce:
- Combine the mustard, syrup, and cayenne in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
To Make the Vegetables and to Assemble:
- Chop the vegetables.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Warm the tortilla before rolling to prevent splitting.
- Spread 1/4 of the cheese sauce on a tortilla. Add chard, mushrooms, tomato, and scallions. Fold over and place in skillet, seam side down. Use another pan to press on the sandwich. Cook until golden. Flip and repeat. Cook two tortillas at one time.
- Repeat with the other two tortillas.