A kheema is a dish traditionally made with ground meat and spices. In this recipe, textured vegetable protein, aka TVP, substitute for the meat with the help of sautéed onion and spices like garam masala, coriander, and chili powder. The rolls are crispy on the outside and soft, meaty, and chewy on the inside. They're also freezable, making them perfect make-ahead snacks!
Freezable Kheema Rolls [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 3.5 ounces textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chilis, sliced in half
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2-3 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Salt, to taste
For the Rolls:
- 20 sheets of vegan spring roll pastry
- 1 teaspoon cornflour dissolved in a little water to make a paste
- Oil, for frying
To Make the Filling:
- Prepare the TVP by boiling it in water with a pinch of salt until soft. Drain and squeeze dry.
- Chop the TVP coarsely into tiny chunks and et aside.
- Heat oil in a medium pan.
- Add cumin, green chilis, ginger, and garlic powder and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
- Add the chopped TVP and stir well.
- Continue to cook until the filling is dry. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Let it cool completely.
To Make the Rolls:
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of filling onto a sheet, and roll tightly.
- Seal the edges with the cornflour paste and lay it on a tray covered with waxed paper, seal-side down.
- Finish filling all the rolls.
To Fry the Rolls:
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Fry the rolls until golden brown.
- Drain them on paper towels and serve hot.
To Freeze the Rolls:
- Take the rolls you need to use right away, and freeze the rest. To do that, place the rolls on a wax paper covered tray and freeze until solid.
- Transfer to a freezer bag and remove excess air. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, take what you need, and fry immediately. Do not let them thaw. It needs to go straight from the freezer to hot oil.