This dish makes a wonderful side to any dish!
Freekeh Pilaf with Dates and Pistachios [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cracked freekeh, rinsed
- 3 ounces pitted dates, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Using highest sauté function, heat oil in Instant Pot until shimmering. Add shallot, ginger, salt, coriander, cumin, and pepper and cook until shallot is softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in water and freekeh.
- Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure cook function and cook for 4 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot and quick-release pressure. Carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Add dates, pistachios, and lemon juice and gently fluff freekeh with fork to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with mint, and drizzle with extra oil. Serve.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile