This glow bowl has a bed of greens and rice with sautéed zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, purple cabbage, and edamame — a yummy and super colorful mix! Forbidden rice, also known as black rice, offers a nuttier and earthier flavor that offers a striking contrast to the fresh and roasted vegetables. This dish is the perfect lunch or dinner if you're looking to fit more whole foods in your diet.
Forbidden Rice Glow Bowl [Vegan]
For the Glow Bowl:
- 1 cup black rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (or 1 tablespoon raw coconut oil, if you cook with oil)
- 1/3 of a white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 3-4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup purple cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cups fresh greens (spinach, kale, etc...)
- A sprinkle of sesame seeds, for topping
For the Lemon Ginger Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- A heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water, to thin (if needed)
- Combine 1 cup of black rice with 1 3/4 cups water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the vegetable broth (or oil) on medium-high heat and sauté the onion with garlic for about 4 minutes, or until translucent. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix in the edamame, carrots and zucchini, and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and sauté about 7-8 minutes, or until carrots are softened. Add in the purple cabbage last and cook about 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the lemon ginger tahini sauce, adding the water only if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Add 1 cup of cooked black rice to a bowl with 1-2 cups of your favorite greens and the desired amount of sautéed veggies over top. Drizzle with the tahini sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.