A simple and hearty autumnal dessert recipe. Use a ready-made shortcrust pastry to make this even easier! The berries in this recipe get super flavorful and takes this dessert to the next level.
Foraged Blackberry and Apple Galette with Cornmeal Crust [Vegan]
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup approx vegan margarine (or half vegan marg and half shortening)
- enough ice cold water to make a firm dough
- 3-4 cups fruit (e.g. blackberries and apples)
- brown sugar/cinnamon to taste
- Combine the plain flour and cornmeal. Rub the fat into the flour with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and salt, and enough water to make a firm dough. If you have time leave the pastry to cool in the fridge for an hour or two.
- Roll out the pastry dough to create a large circular(ish) shape. I recommend rolling it straight out onto baking parchment, and smear a little vegetable oil on the rolling pin beforehand.
- Gently press the pastry into a large pie tin or cast iron skillet. Add the fruit along with any extra sugar/spices you want to use (e.g. brown sugar and cinnamon).
- Turn up the sides of the pastry, brush with a little soya milk, and bake at around 350°F for around 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with vegan ice cream or hot custard.