This glorious Fig & Rosemary Focaccia is topped with ripe luscious figs, rosemary and bits of caramelized onions! Perfect for snacking or with any meal.
Fig and Rosemary Focaccia [Vegan]
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water plus extra if needed
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, slightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling on top
- 4-5 figs, sliced thickly
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 1-2 sprig fresh rosemary
- Mix warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Keep it in a draft-free place for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is frothy.
- Combine the flour, salt, and rosemary in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in yeast mixture and olive oil. Form a dough and turn out on a well floured surface.
- Knead the dough using the heels of your hands pushing the dough away from you and fold the top half of the dough back towards you, and press down. Then press out again, stretching and folding back. If the mixture feels too dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes. You should get a slightly sticky, soft, smooth dough.
- Transfer this dough to a greased bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and place it in a draft free place for about 1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Pre heat the oven to 400°F. Line a 7-inch/8-inch cake tin with parchment paper.
- Take out the proven dough on a floured surface. Gently deflate the dough and flatten the dough a bit. Place it in the prepared pan, patting it gently it so it covers the pan.
- Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter the sliced figs and onions and rosemary, pushing them into the dough slightly. Let this rest for 10-15 minutes and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 15 -20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!