Chickpeas and tomato sauce are such a undeniably delicious combination! This is a meal that is perfect for when you are too busy to cook anything for longer than 15 minutes but still want to enjoy a meal made from scratch. It's the ideal quick, delicious, and simple recipe to fall back on because you likely have all the ingredients already in your kitchen.
15-Minute Chickpeas in Tomato Sauce [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or 4 tablespoons of water
- 4.4 ounces of pure tomato purée
- 1 cup of water
- 1 zucchini (or broccoli or cauliflower)
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Half a teaspoon ginger
- Dash of black pepper and cayenne
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3/4 cup quinoa, cooked (optional)
- Prepare quinoa if not already cooked.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and set aside.
- Cut the onion and zucchini in little chunks.
- Water or oil sauté the onion in a pan. When the onions get softer add the zucchini.
- When the onion and zucchini start to brown add the tomato purée and spices. Add more water.
- Let simmer. Add the chickpeas and frozen green peas.
- Let simmer again. Add more water and turn heat to medium. Let simmer and serve when the tomato purée becomes a bit more thick.
- Serve with fresh herbs and nutritional yeast or some lemon juice.