This protein-packed bowl is both full of flavor and will leave you feeling full and satisfied!
Farro Bowl with Tofu, Mushrooms, and Spinach [Vegan]
- 7 ounces firm tofu, sliced crosswise into 4 equal slabs
- 1/8 teaspoon plus pinch table salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 5 ounces (5 cups) baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked farro (page 189), warmed
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup store-bought ginger dressing
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- Spread tofu over paper towel–lined plate, let drain for 20 minutes, then gently press dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Gently toss drained tofu with cornstarch in bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in 12‑inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add tofu and brown lightly on all sides, 12 to 15 minutes; transfer to clean paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- In now-empty skillet, heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Stir in mushrooms, shallot, and remaining pinch salt and cook until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in sherry and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until skillet is nearly dry, about 1 minute; transfer to bowl. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat in again-empty skillet until shimmering. Add spinach, 1 handful at a time, and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Toss farro with sesame oil and vinegar then season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among individual bowls then top with tofu, mushrooms, and spinach. Drizzle with miso--ginger sauce, sprinkle with scallions, and serve.
Instead of farro, you can try quinoa, barley, or brown rice.