For the BBQ-lover with refined taste – this recipe is a classy take on a traditional potato salad. The recipe combines two of our favorite things, pesto and potatoes, into a ballet of flavors that is impressive and surprisingly simple. This recipe is super hearty, make a large batch, and is pretty easy on the wallet as well.
Fancy Pesto Potato Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salad:
- 2.2 pounds of potatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 handful dill
- 1 spring onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper (optional)
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pesto Dressing:
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 6 tablespoons pesto or a generous handful of basil
- 1 handful pine nuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Add the chickpeas, pesto, and water to a blender and blend them until they're creamy. If you don't have any store bought pesto, you can make a dressing using the chickpea base and adding a generous handful basil, an extra tablespoon of nutritional yeast, a handful of pine nuts, and salt to taste to the blender with the chickpeas to create your homemade pesto dressing.
- Start by cutting the potatoes into bite sized pieces and placing them in a big pot.
- Cover the potatoes with water and boil them for about 15 minutes or until you can easily poke them with a fork.
- Remove the potatoes from the water and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the red onion, dill, pesto dressing, spring onions, and hot/bell pepper (if you are using them).
- Finally, add the lemon, salt, and pepper to taste and chill the salad in the refrigerator, or eat it right away.