Quash any secret longings you may have for fluffy, bready, yeasty hot dog buns with this traditional New Mexican taco. These ’dogs are frequently served at small food stands or carts with a grilled jalapeño on the side. Studies have shown an exponential increase in levels after eating this taco, especially when supplemented with a Beergarita.
Elevated Sonoran Hot Dog Tacos [Vegan]
For the Hot Dogs:
- 4 vegan hot dogs
- 8 Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Vegan mayo
- 1 avocado‚ sliced
- 1 cup Foundational Tempeh Bacon (below)‚ chopped into small pieces‚ optional
- 1 cup vegan chorizo‚ cooked
- 1 cup (170 g) warm cooked black beans or pinto beans‚ optional
- Vegan cheese‚ optional
- Yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
For the Foundational Tempeh Bacon:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces (227 g) tempeh‚ in ¼-inch (0․5 cm) cubes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until a few sides of each cube are brown and crispy.
- While the tempeh cooks, combine the rest of the ingredients and set aside.
- When the tempeh is ready, add the liquid mixture and cook for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is thickened and mostly absorbed.
Tip: To liberate the tempeh from its plastic wrapping, cut straight through the whole package with a knife, then squeeze out both halves.