This Eggplant Tofu Curry is my newest obsession! The perfect combination of heavenly spiced creamy sauce, juicy eggplant pieces and deliciously fried tofu.
Eggplant Tofu Curry [Vegan]
For the Eggplants:
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1-2 tablespoon (20ml) olive oil, for brushing
For the Tofu:
- pinch of rough salt
- 14oz (400g) tofu, diced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sunflower oil
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1.5 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 green chili pepper, diced
- 14oz (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- fresh coriander, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the eggplant cubes on it, brush with olive oil and sprinkle rough salt on top. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan over medium-high heat and fry the tofu cubes on all sides until golden brown for 3-4 minutes, then take off the heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion until golden, the add the garlic, ginger, chili and sauté another minute. Scrape aside and add the fennel and coriander seeds and fry a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, water and eggplants and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the fried tofu and cook another 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and fresh coriander for serving and enjoy with your favorite rice.