Are you a fan of eggplant parmesan? Eggplant Hummus Rounds are a winning healthy alternative. The tender eggplant is topped with red pepper, spinach, hummus and a sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs.
Eggplant Hummus Rounds [Vegan]
- 2 medium sized eggplants cut into 1-inch thick rounds
- 6 Tbsp of grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz spinach, chopped
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- hummus (see recipe below)
- 1 cup bread crumbs, optional gluten free
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 19oz cans of chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 4 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-6 Tbsp water
- Prepare hummus as directed below or use package hummus to save time.
- Brush eggplant with 4 Tbsp grapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a frying pan on med-high and cook in batches for 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Cook until the eggplants are tender but not fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil in a frying pan on med heat and add red peppers, cook roughly 5 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Add the garlic and cook until you can smell the garlic, roughly 2 minutes. Add spinach to the pan and sauté until the spinach has wilted, 5 minutes.
- Mix breadcrumbs, chopped parsley and 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and top with spinach mixture. Evenly spread the hummus on top of the spinach and top with bread crumb mixture.
- Place the rounds in the oven on broil until the bread crumbs are brown, 5 minutes.
- Place garlic in a large food processor and pulse until it is coarsely chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients, expect for the water, and process until smooth. Water will make the hummus creamier, therefore add it slowly until desired texture.