This egg-based Chinese dish has been updated, veganized, and it's better than the original – trust us. The recipe uses silken tofu, a dash of nooch, turmeric, and a few other spices to make an absolutely incredible faux scrambled egg. It's served atop a bowl of rice with the chili sauce of your choice.
‘Egg’ Fried Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10.6 ounces silken tofu
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (use tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 8.8 ounces cooked rice
- 2-3 spring onions finely chopped
- Chili sauce
- Add 3 tablespoons of sesame oil to a wok pan and turn it to high heat.
- Then add the finely chopped onion, red pepper, and 2 teaspoons of minced garlic. Stir and sautée this until the onion and pepper have softened.
- Then add the silken tofu (straight out of the pack, including the water) to the pan together with 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, and some ground pepper. Mash up the tofu in the pan and mix it all together.
- Finally, add 1 cup of frozen peas, the cooked rice, a few chopped spring onions and cook for another few minutes until the peas are defrosted and heated up.
- Serve in a bowl and drizzle some chili sauce, if desired.