This curry is colorful, tangy, tasty, and perfect to curl up with when it's chilly or rainy outside. Throw in your favorite tofu for a filling, flavor-packed meal that will leave you satisfied and nourished.
Easy Thai Red Tofu Curry [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Easy Thai Red Tofu Curry [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Tofu and Marinade:
- 16-ounces extra firm tofu pressed and cut into 1/2 by 1/2-inch cubes.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
For the Curry:
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup of sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of red curry paste
- 13 ounces of light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon of sambal oelek (hot chili paste)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 8 fresh Thai basil leaves, ribboned
- Jasmine or white rice for serving, optional
- Fresh Thai basil leaves
- Sliced scallions
How to Prepare Easy Thai Red Tofu Curry [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Tofu:
- Drain and remove the tofu from it's packaging. Press tofu (see notes). This will be 30 minutes of idle time.
- In the meantime, combine the marinade ingredients from the garlic clove through to the red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Once the tofu is good to go, cut into cubes and toss into a freezer bag with marinade. Shake to coat.
- Let the tofu marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. Once done, transfer the tofu to a separate bowl and add corn starch. Toss to coat.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over moderate heat.
- Place the tofu cubes into the skillet and fry until they are golden brown and crispy on each side — approx. 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the tofu to a bowl.
To Make the Curry:
- Add 1/4 cup of water to a large saucepan and bring to a light simmer.
- Add the minced onion, garlic, and fresh ginger and bring the heat to medium.
- Simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the slices of red bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Stir in the 3 tablespoons of red curry paste and stir until the veggies are evenly coated.
- Finally, add the coconut milk, soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, and zest.
- Stir until the curry paste has dissolved into the liquid and let the curry simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your rice, if using, per the package instructions. Once the rice is ready, serve in a bowl and spoon the curry over the rice. Top with crispy tofu and garnish with fresh Thai basil ribbons and sliced scallions.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.