Tofu is such a versatile ingredient. It’s not only a great source of plant protein, but it also goes well with sweet or savory dish. This vegan sweet & sour sticky tofu is perfect for meal prep as it is not only filled with vegetables and plant-based proteins, but the sauce also pairs well with rice or noodles.
Easy Sweet & Sour Tofu [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 2 blocks firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup dried lentils
- Red, green, yellow bell pepper, 1 each, cubed
- 6 portobello mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
For the Sweet & Sour Sticky Sauce:
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons liquid amino
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the cubed tofu onto a baking tray lined with silicon mat. Bake for 15 mins on one side.
- After 15 mins, flip the tofu and bake on the other side for another 10 mins or until all sides are golden brown.
- While the tofu is baking, boil the dried lentils in boiling water for around 5-10 mins. You don’t need to boil them for too long as they will further be cooked in the slow cooker. Drain.
- Turn on the saute function of the multi cooker. Add a splash of water, then saute the diced onion until it becomes translucent and golden brown. You can add more water if needed.
- Fry together with minced garlic until fragrant.
- Next, add in mushrooms, dried thyme and sautéed until the mushrooms began to shrink, around 3-4 mins. Turn off the saute function and switch to slow-cook function (high setting).
- In a bowl, mix together all of the sweet & sour sticky sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce mixture into the slow cooker, together with the diced bell peppers and cooked lentils.
- Mix everything well and leave the slow cooker at high setting for 3-4 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving, add in the chopping green onions and let it cooked for a bit.
Stove Top Method:
- Follow the same procedures as the crockpot method until step 6.
- After sautéing the mushrooms, add the diced bell pepper, cooked lentils and sauce mixture to the pan. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add water if needed.
- 5 mins before serving, add in the chopping green onions and let it cooked for a bit.