Tofu is such a versatile ingredient. It’s not only a great source of plant protein, but it also goes well with sweet or savory dish. This vegan sweet & sour sticky tofu is perfect for meal prep as it is not only filled with vegetables and plant-based proteins, but the sauce also pairs well with rice or noodles.
Easy Sweet & Sour Tofu [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Easy Sweet & Sour Tofu [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 2 blocks firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup dried lentils
- Red, green, yellow bell pepper, 1 each, cubed
- 6 portobello mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
For the Sweet & Sour Sticky Sauce:
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons liquid amino
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
How to Prepare Easy Sweet & Sour Tofu [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the cubed tofu onto a baking tray lined with silicon mat. Bake for 15 mins on one side.
- After 15 mins, flip the tofu and bake on the other side for another 10 mins or until all sides are golden brown.
- While the tofu is baking, boil the dried lentils in boiling water for around 5-10 mins. You don’t need to boil them for too long as they will further be cooked in the slow cooker. Drain.
- Turn on the saute function of the multi cooker. Add a splash of water, then saute the diced onion until it becomes translucent and golden brown. You can add more water if needed.
- Fry together with minced garlic until fragrant.
- Next, add in mushrooms, dried thyme and sautéed until the mushrooms began to shrink, around 3-4 mins. Turn off the saute function and switch to slow-cook function (high setting).
- In a bowl, mix together all of the sweet & sour sticky sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce mixture into the slow cooker, together with the diced bell peppers and cooked lentils.
- Mix everything well and leave the slow cooker at high setting for 3-4 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving, add in the chopping green onions and let it cooked for a bit.
Stove Top Method:
- Follow the same procedures as the crockpot method until step 6.
- After sautéing the mushrooms, add the diced bell pepper, cooked lentils and sauce mixture to the pan. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add water if needed.
- 5 mins before serving, add in the chopping green onions and let it cooked for a bit.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.